Sunday, June 19, 2011

Which Bike???

Okay so I have my heart set one getting a "real" bike, not one from a big box store. When I first started this search  I was under the impression that there was only a few types of bikes, not true. I wondered into the Trek store in Arnold, MO with zero expectations of what a modern day bike was. I explained my goals to the salesman and he began showing me "hybrids." He explained that this type of bicycle would be a jack of all trades, however thru my research I have found it is a master of none.

At 700 dollars I thought I owed it to myself to be cautious and research a ton. I had narrowed it down to a few different brands of commuter friendly hybrid bikes.

I did not want a typical road bike as it was not a friendly to my back. I narrowed it down to two models:

A Trek 7.3 FX:

As it sat on the shelf at the Trek Store it was 689.00 and was beautiful. I had mid-grade components and was equipped nicely. The price however was a little steep.

The next was the Specialized Sirrus Elite at 700.00. I fell in love with the black and white paint scheme, go figure. (cop, lol.) It had the same components as the Trek with the added advantage of a carbon fork, with an exclusive vibration damping system.

So I was 11.00 apart on one hand the Trek had the power of its name and hertiage. The Specialized was more advanced and looked better.

So I went to the my LBS ( local bike store) at Sunset Cyclery in Sunset Hill, MO.

I began to speak with a guy named Ed. He showed a true interest in why and what I was going to do with my new bike. I explained to him the same goals that I shared with the Trek guy. Ed explained the advantages that the Sirrus was going to offer me, but I was still torn. They were very very similar. The Trek store offered a 3 year tune up package with the bike. I told Ed about this and he said " I don't offer a three year labor warranty." I was starting to lean back to the Trek when Ed smiled and said "Mine is Lifetime!" I was almost sold on the Specialized, but more importantly I was sold on Ed, the owner of Sunset Cyclery. He cut me a deal on the Sirrus that I couldn't walk away from and She was finally mine.

Clyde T. Cop

No comments:

Post a Comment